Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Painting

I bought a plastic knife set from Walmart and this was my first attempt at palette knife painting.
Regretably, I haven't had any formal artistic training in painting. The public school I went to had art classes but we were only allowed one elective. I chose chorus and drama and only one year of art. In that class we never went over any techniques for painting. About 10 years ago, I picked up some cheap acrylic paints and just started painting. I painted a picture of Berkley Plantation in Virginia. Which is actually the sight of the first Thanksgiving in 1619. The long winding dirt road that leads to the grand entrance is beautiful and feels like traveling back in time. Berkley is the home of Benjamin Harrison, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.


I lived in Suffolk, Va and I used to take a drive to the ferry in Surry, VA to Williamsburg. Then, I would drive route 5 to visit the plantations. My favorite plantation was Westover, William Byrd's estate. After reading his diaries that provide insight into the daily life of a colonial plantion owner in Virginia, I would sit under the trees along the James River and I could actually picture the people who lived there. There was a church on the property that Maria Byrd had dismantled and moved up river because there was too much partying after church on the property. That story made me smile.





Westover Plantation in acrylics
I think I improved from the first painting to this one.







The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia


Anyone ever tried painting with acrylics? watercolors? any insight? advice?

No comments: