Thursday, November 3, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Smocked Bishop Gown

smocking design is by Ellen McCarn

Two 1/2" tucks above the ruffle hem. I thought maybe I will take these out as she grows.


I hand crocheted an edging to match the angel sleeves






This dress was made a couple of years ago. It is still her favorite dress. The large ruffle hem at the bottom gives it a major twirl factor. She happens to adore Strawberry shortcake and she has the doll. The fabric, voile, in a pale yellow with strawberries, I found at Hancocks on clearance at the end of summer. Its very thin, and easy to see through.


Problem: the crochet thread ended up bleeding onto the fabric after a washing. I was not happy about that, needless to say. I recommend Ellen McCarn's beginner smocking booklet. I have one that belonged to my mother. After my initial smocking lesson, I referred back to it from time to time. I also am a "Sew Beautiful" magazine fan.


Hope you are inspired...

































No comments: